On Community Reddit Xbox cloud gamingAt , an Xbox employee made a small announcement about upgrading the Linux and ChromeOS game streaming experience.
Without a workaround, it was limited to low resolutions, so it’s something I’ve been waiting for a while. For example, you can improve it by spoofing Edge on Windows. Still, I’ve noticed that I’m not getting the performance I expected. Now that should no longer be the case.
Xbox Cloud developer Jordan Cohen said: reddit:
Hello everyone! We have released a series of performance improvements to Xbox Cloud Gaming for gamers playing through the browser on Linux and ChromeOS devices. Expect higher resolutions and a smoother streaming experience.
These changes also complete a long journey of upgrading the browser gaming experience to another streaming technology. You now have a more consistent experience in your browser, regardless of which device you use.
I tested it myself today on both desktop Linux and the Steam Deck and it seems to work fine.
Despite what Microsoft wants to say, you please do not Requires Edge, but works fine in Chrome. Desktop Linux doesn’t need to add anything. It’s click and play. However, for Steam Decks, you can set:
- Make sure you have Chrome installed (available from the Non-Steam menu in your Steam library) or from Discover in desktop mode.
- In desktop mode, enter the following command in the Konsole Terminal app.
flatpak --user override --filesystem=/run/udev:ro com.google.Chrome
This will allow your gamepad to work.
- Load Chrome and go to Xbox.com/Play to set up your login. Desktop mode is easier.
- If you want to auto-launch Xbox Cloud Gaming using Chrome without the address bar, check the launch options (Chrome’s[プロパティ]menu) add this at the end:
--window-size=1024,640 --force-device-scale-factor=1.25 --device-scale-factor=1.25 --kiosk "https://xbox.com/play"
- In Game Mode for your Steam Deck, tap Chrome in your Steam Library and set Steam Input (the gamepad icon on the right) to Gamepad with Mouse Trackpad. It also sets the right trackpad as mouse click as it helps deal with browser popups.
- Fire up Chrome and enjoy.
As a side note, if you really want or want to use Edge instead of Chrome, you can change the end of point 2 to put com.microsoft.Edge instead of com.google.Chrome at the end. increase.
Here’s a video reminder on how to do it along with some quick footage.